Coronavirus (COVID-19) was first discovered in China in December 2019. Three months later, it has spread all over the world and affected thousands of people. This is what we know:
What are the symptoms of the coronavirus?
The common symptoms by those infected by the coronavirus are:
SHORTNESS OF BREATH
These symptoms will develop within fourteen (14) days of exposure to a person carrying the virus.
How is the virus transmitted?
The virus is transmitted through droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes. The virus can survive on surfaces, which can then be picked up when other people touch that surface.
How can we protect ourselves from the coronavirus?
Knowing what we know about COVID-19, here are simple yet very effective ways to protect ourselves:
- Wash your hands. Frequent and thorough hand washing is by far the most effective measure you can take to protect yourself. Avoid touching your eyes, mouth, and nose if you have not disinfected your hands.
- Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Properly dispose of used tissue and disinfect your hands right after.
- Do not go out if you are sick to prevent the spread of any type of virus and also to protect yourself from other viruses that may worsen your condition.
- Disinfect surfaces frequently to ensure viruses are killed.
- Wear a mask, but only if you are showing respiratory problems or if you are taking care of someone who is sick.
To ensure that everyone in the family is protected, I have placed pump-type alcohol bottles beside the entryway and in all key areas of the house: dining room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms. We also make sure that shoes are not brought into the house.
We also disinfect tables, floors, and handles frequently to lessen the chances of transmission should someone from our family is infected.
For my husband who has no choice but to report to work, he carries with him a small alcohol spray. For the rest of us, we limit trips outside of the house.
Aside from cleaning and keeping ourselves clean, we have increased the intake of vegetables and fruits to boost our immune system. We also take vitamins (Nutrilin for our baby, Ceelin for the big kids, and Centrum for my husband and I).
It was a bit difficult getting the kids to comply (especially the part about eating vegetables LOL), but once we had a talk to them about the seriousness of the situation, they complied.
What are you doing to lessen the chances of the coronavirus spreading? Share it with our community through the comments below!