I’m not very good at fond of cooking (Arjay is the one, true master chef of our home), so when Krisna of Life As A CEO invited to go to Global Academy’s open house, I knew I had to go.
They prepared four recipes for us: Compressed Watermelon with Roasted Prawns and Citrus Coriander Dressing, Dinner Rolls with Compound Butter, Pan Seared Barramundi with Papaya Salad and Lemongrass Curry Sauce and French Macarons.
I’d say that the winner recipe for me is the Pan Seared Barramundi with Papaya Salad and Lemongrass Curry Sauce. One- because for the first time I ate salad and liked it. And two- because it’s pretty easy to prepare!
What do you need?
- 15-18 pcs. Barramundi Fillets (about 40-45 grams each), skin on
- 60 grams Green Curry Paste
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream
- 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
- 3/4 cup Fish Stock
- 1 pc. Lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp. Palm Suger
Preparing the Barramundi Fillets:
- In a saucepot, heat oil then saute the green curry paste until fragrant. Add coconut cream and simmer until it thickens a little and the oil starts to split.
- Add coconut milk and fish stock then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Before serving, add lime juice, palm sugar and fish sauce. Stir and check for seasoning. Balance the sweet, salty, sour and spicy.
- Heat saute pan with oil until very hot. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Pan sear the fish fillet, skin side down first, then after a few minutes flip the fillet. According to Chef Ericka, you’ll know you can flip the fish when it is easily coming off the pan.
- Place a mound of papaya salad onto a plate. Place the fish fillet on top then spoon sauce all around.
Ingredients for the Papaya Salad:
- 1-1.2 kgs. Green Papaya, peeled and cut into fine julienne
- 150 grams Green Beans (Sitao), blanched and then sliced thinly
- 1 pc. large Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pc. large Tomato, finely diced
- 45 grams Toasted Peanuts, chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 60 mls Lime Juice
- 60 mls Palm Sugar
- 60 mls Fish Sauce
- 20-30 mls Tamarind Water
- As Needed: Cilantro Leaves
Preparing the salad:
- Dressing: combine fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar and tamarind water. Mix well then set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss altogether the shredded papaya, cooked sitao, chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced onion and chopped peanuts.
- Drizzle the dressing all over until well coated.
- Serve immediately.
Ingredients for the Thai Green Curry Paste (YUMMY!):
- 1 piece 2″ piece Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks Lemongrass, remove tough outer leaves, chopped
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro, stems chopped and leaves picked and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 3 pcs. Green Chilies, seeded
- 2 pcs. medium Onions, chopped
- 1 pc. fresh Lime, zested and flesh segmented
- 3 pcs. Kaffir Lime Leaves, chopped (remove thick vein)
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp. Asian Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp. dried Shrimp Paste
To prepare the paste:
- In a food processor or blender, add all the ginger, garlic, onions and lemongrass. Pulse until it breaks down into smaller pieces.
- Add the cilantro roots, chopped cilantro and chopped green chilies. Pulse until breaks down into smaller pieces.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until it forms a paste.
- Store on an airtight container. It can last for weeks well covered and sealed tight.
Do you want to try out the other recipes we learned? Feel free to e-mail me at email@example.com so I can share a copy with you!